Happy Birthday to my husband, 36 years young, I love you dahling!
His cake, sick-a-tella ice cream cake, I invented last year composed of every sweet thing he loves… but this year I changed it up a bit. I decided it was time to try making dulce de leche (checking this off my want to try list). I swirled it into the ice cream thinking that seems very snickery to me. It was awesome! BUT! A tad on the sweet side.
Hmmmm. Note for next year – use only half of the dulce de leche and, instead of swirling into the ice cream, use it to top the cake and create a bed for the snickers chunks.
The dulce de leche was so easy. Open a can of sweetened condensed milk, spoon into a pie pan. Cover that with foil. Sit that pan into a deeper roasting pan, fill the roasting pan with water (about 3/4 way up on the pie plate). Place into a preheated 425F oven. Cook for an hour with occasionally checking to make sure the water level in the roasting pan is ok. Check to see if the color is a golden brown color and the consistency has thickened. You may need to cook another 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
Recipe: Snick-a-tella Ice Cream Cake
Summary: a cake for my honey
- 1 prepared pan of Brownies (in a 9″ spring form pan)
- 1 half gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- dulce de leche (optional – instructions in the above post)
- 2 Snickers Bars chopped
- Spread a layer of nutella onto the brownies.
- Freeze for 15 minutes while ice cream is softening on the counter.
- Spread a layer of ice cream. Note- you can swirl this with dulce de leche, or use the dulce de leche as a topping.
- Top with chopped snickers. Freeze.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12