My life is so busy, unfortunately that leaves little time for blogging these days. What I do find time for is Saturday mornings full of good breakfast food and music and lively conversation with my husband and 3 boys.
I find myself making dutch baby pancakes quite often as its one of their favorites. My previous recipe is still my favorite. I have tried a handful of different ones on the web but this is the one I come back to. I make a thick pancake in my small 8″ dutch oven, or I make a thinner version in my large 14″ cast iron skillet. (I now call the thick version “double dutch”.)
Feast your eyes.
Dutch Baby pancake (revisited)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar & lemon juice to serve (optional)
- Place butter into the skillet, put the skillet into the oven as it preheats to 425F.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs, flour, sugar, milk, salt and vanilla in a large bowl.
- When oven is ready, carefully remove the skillet, swirl the butter around to coat the bottom. Pour the batter into the skillet and return to oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with powdered sugar and a drizzle of lemon juice on top.
ohh, how long i haven’t eaten meal like that! must fix this, definitely!