I made this recipe last year and they tasted great. The secret, I found, roll them evenly and not too thin. Also, separate dough into chunks, work with one chunk at a time so they don’t get re-rolled too much.
These took 3 days.. the first night, I made the dough. Next day, my son and I rolled and cut out the dough and baked. Day 3, we decorated.
These make fun gifts. Two gingerbread men, a turtle candy and the printed out comic strip.
Recipe: Gingerbread Men
Summary: from Paula Deen
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 Tbsp milk
- Cream together the sugar and butter in an electric mixer.
- Add eggs & molasses until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture, little by little until combined.
- Remove the dough, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Let dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface, to about 1/8″ thick. Cut out with cutters.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on racks.
- Icing: Mix the powdered sugar with milk. Use piping bags to decorate the cookies.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 24