I couldn’t not post a tasty treat when Halloween is right around the corner.
I picked pears (as opposed to apples) because their shape is so perfectly ghost like. Easy to make, and not all that terribly bad for you.. I mean they are fruit! They served up nicely as a fun dessert for my little family.
Tips: Plan ahead, pears take a few days to ripen. You can quicken the process by leaving them in a paper bag over night, or lay them next to apples. Apples emit a gas that help ripen other fruit! Also, pick pears that have a good stem so you can dip them more easily.
Best wishes for a safe and spooky fun Halloween!
Recipe: Ghostly Pears
Summary: Chocolate dipped pears for Halloween
- 3 ripe pears, washed
- 2 cups white chocolate
- small amount of dark chocolate
- ziploc bag (for piping face)
- Gently wash the wax off your pears, dry. Place in Refrigerator for about an hour.
- Lay out a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper, spray with cooking spray. Place it on a cutting board or plate if you want to refrigerate your dipped pears.
- Melt white chocolate in microwave according to package instructions (10 seconds at a time and stir). A pyrex glass measuring cup works nicely for this.
- Dip pears to coat, rotate them for a smooth coat. If the chocolate is too thick, melt longer or add a touch of vegetable oil, melt/stir again.
- Lay on wax paper. Refrigerate.
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave. Place into a small ziploc bag. Snip the corner off. Use to pipe on the ghost face. Set in refrigerator again until ready to serve.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3