I know I’ve been slacking, but I do have a good excuse. I had my own little bun in the oven and he was ready to come out. I am now a proud momma of 3 wonderful little boys. Two of which have been living off of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
If you need a quick to make dinner idea, this soup is for you. Super easy and super delicious. Even I, in my current state of utter exhaustion and dressed in the same shirt I was wearing 2 days ago and smelling like sour milk, can make this dinner in a snap.
ps- goes great with my last post, Chicken Finger Melts.
- Spice it up by adding a few jarred roasted bell peppers to the pot with the tomatoes.
- Add a dollop of basil pesto to the bowl when serving.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of garlic/basil/oregano seasoned diced tomatoes
- chicken broth or mix water & chicken bouillon (enough to fill 2 of the empty diced tomato cans)
- 6 fresh basil leaves (optional but wonderful)
- ⅓ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Pour both cans of diced tomatoes into a medium sized pot. Use the empty can to measure out 2 cans worth of chicken broth and add that to the same pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add basil leaves, lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, blend using a hand blender until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy whipping cream and stir. (Depending on your preference, add more or less to change the creaminess).