I was surprised to find so many creative ways to use up those leftover candy canes on the web… this one, by Storybook Woods, couldn’t have been more simple to do.
Recipe: Candy Cane Syrup
Summary: from Storybook Woods
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 candy canes broken
- In a saucepan, bring all ingredients to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Stir until candy canes have melted. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Preparation time: 2 minute(s)
Cooking time: about 8 minute(s) or so?
- Now to answer the question that must undoubtedly be on your mind: how to use candy cane syrup?
- Make a Candy Cane Latte! Make some strong coffee. Heat up some milk in a mug in the microwave, then stir in some syrup to taste. Add the sweetened milk to the coffee. Top it with some whipped cream and crushed candy canes.
- Add to tea. Brew some unsweetened tea, add the syrup to create a sweetened peppermint tea.
- Minty Hot Chocolate. Yum!!!
- Create a special kid drink. A warm sweet milk in a fancy shamancy glass rimmed with crushed candy canes. My 3 year old told me “I really LOVE candy cane milk, mommy”.
- Drizzle over vanilla ice cream. Brought back faint memories… did I have this as a kid?
* To rim a glass with candy canes, crush the candy canes and place on flat surface. Rim your glass with the syrup. Then turn glass upside down in the crushed candy canes and press lightly for the candy to stick to the glass.