Finding the right chocolate chip cookie recipe is kind of like dating. Once you fall in love you stop looking. You either have one you LOVE and stick to it or you just keep trying new ones. I used to be a dater. I tried everything, even the one on the back of the chocolate chip bag. I know. Sad. Fortunately for me I never met a chocolate chip cookie I didn’t like.
Well folks, that was before.
Then one glorious day I found this recipe from Roland Mesnier, former White House pastry chef. It was love at first bite and I never strayed again.
According to his book, Dessert University, this very recipe was the one he baked on an almost daily basis at the White House.
His special ingredient? Molasses.
Molasses keeps the cookies chewy and gives them an intense brown sugar flavor.
Give it a try, I guarantee you will never go back to chocolate chip cookie dating again.
- 3 cups + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips (1 12-ounce bag)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and both sugars. Add the eggs, molasses, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough balls about 1 tablespoon in size. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Let cool on baking racks.
- These store well for several days in an airtight container.
Hmmm… I do like me a chewy chocolate chip cookie…
Do these have crispy edges or are they chewy throughout?
I suppose if you bake them too long they will get a little crispy, but bake them between 8-10 minutes and they are nice and soft but solid enough to stay an actual cookie.
Beware the instructions do not tell you when to add the butter, luckily I caught it in time. These are very good though. I only made them an hour ago and my boyfriend has almost had a dozen!!!!
Thank you Amanda, I just fixed that. Glad you both enjoy them!
Thanks, next time I wont have to worry about that. it has only been a few days and they are almost all gone! I might have to make a double batch next time, even though one batch makes a bunch!