Just in time for the cool Fall weather, warm up with some bean soup and a hearty roll.
My mom is a culinary genius when it comes to making soup. She could, at any moment, go through her refrigerator and pick random ingredients then boil up a soup thats an instant success. You name it, she has made it. Me, on the other hand, I usually stick to a basic tomato soup.
So, in an effort to be more like mom, I threw all caution to the wind and raided my pantry. Ok, I did have a small plan… I found random recipes on the web and just picked out the stuff I thought sounded good. But still, I give my self some kudos for this one.
This soup was, well, surprisingly delicious. We not only finished our bowls, but filled them back up for a second round. I think part of it was the cheesy garlic rolls that I made to go with it, those were out of this world delicious!
Here is the recipe I found for the cheesy garlic rolls. Chris prepares it differently than I did. I just threw everything into the machine, set it on the dough setting, and then just baked them in the muffin pan in the oven. For breakfast the next morning, I made egg and cheese sandwiches. Yum.
Recipe: Bean Soup
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks trimmed chopped
- 1 onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can white kidney beans (cannelloni)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- a shake of cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Juice of 1 small lime
- (optional avocados for serving)
- In a medium sized soup pot, heat a little oil then add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Then add everything else, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- Serve with avocados and some rolls.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4