My pregnant self has a major addiction to chocolate right now. My family is thanking their lucky stars for that! These s’mores brownies bring a little campfire sweetness into the kitchen.
I found several recipes out there for similar brownies but I love the layered effect and simple ingredient list that this one has from Nicole at The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie.
Admittedly, I was skeptical about baking graham crackers (soggy?). But was pleasantly surprised with a slightly crunchy middle layer. Nicole uses Hershey bars, but I substituted with what I had in the pantry… good old chocolate chips.
Loved them! Easy and quick to make and perfect for campfire leftovers.
- 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 graham crackers
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (or 4 1.5 oz Hershey’s bars)
- 5 oz marshmallows (regular or mini)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, sugar and eggs. Now mix in the dry ingredients ( cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt) until combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Add your graham cracker layer ( I had to break mine to make sure the brownie batter was covered).
- Add the chocolate layer, then sprinkle on your marshmallows.
- Finally, top with the remaining brownie batter spreading it as evenly as you can. (Mine looked messy but came out just fine).
- Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
- Let them cool completely.