I just love trying new lasagna recipes. This one is from the latest Cooking Light magazine so it’s practically guaranteed healthy and delicious.
Ok, so it would have been health-”ier” had I not doubled the cheese.
But can you blame me? Who wants lasagna if it’s not smothered in cheese?
No red sauce for this lasagna. It calls for a glorious milky cheesy white sauce that takes a few minutes to make on the stove top.
Smother that glorious white sauce over no-boil noodles and layers of kale and squash.
Yes… those are chopped pecans! I wasn’t sure how that would go over with my husband, but he actually didn’t say anything. He was too busy helping himself to seconds.
There’s a hole in your spatula, dear Liza dear Liza…
We stuffed ourselves silly.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (12 oz) package (peeled & chopped) fresh butternut squash
- 3 cups kale, chopped and remove thick stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 2¾ cups milk, divided
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- 6-9 no-boil lasagna noodles (depending on the size dish you are using).
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- I used a 9"x13" glass casserole dish, but original recipe calls for a 8x8 square glass or ceramic dish which will make the lasagna thicker/taller.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine ¼ cup water and butternut squash in a microwavable dish. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce plastic 3 times, and microwave for 5 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Combine the kale and the butternut squash, you can mash it up at this point.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and garlic for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and ½ cup of milk. Stir this into the saucepan with the garlic. Add remaining 2¼ cups of milk to the saucepan.
- Stirring frequently, heat to boiling and cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add in 1 ounce of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until the sauce is smooth and cheese has melted.
- Coat casserole dish with nonstick spay.
- (1) White sauce, (2) Noodles, (3) Squash/kale. Repeat!
- End with: Noodles then white sauce.
- Cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheeses and chopped pecans.
- Bake uncovered for 10 more minutes or until cheese is starting to brown and sauce is nice a bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.