I am on a quest for the perfect grilled dessert. We have had several sweet disasters usually leaving us with some sort of softened burnt graham cracker. Just when I was beginning to think grilled s’mores just cannot be done on our grill, I saw a cake at the end of the tunnel.
So, I made a little mistake. Hard to believe, given this is quite possibly the easiest recipe ever but… I was in a rush, over confident, didn’t read the instructions blah blah blah. The crushed crackers are supposed to be UNDER the Nutella. (Helps the marshmallows stick.) Doh!
They were quick and easy to assemble.
Would be a breeze to pack and transport the ingredients for a BBQ grilling at the beach or park or tailgate party.
They were yummy! Tasted very rich and very s’mores like.
Worked on a transportable grill that doesn’t have the upper bun rack. If you have that higher level rack then use it! Otherwise use multiple layers of foil to help prevent a burned cake bottom.
The marshmallows did NOT brown on the grill. I wanted toasty marshmallows so I put mine under the oven broiler for 2 minutes. If cooked per Sandra Lee’s instructions the marshmallows are going to be very soft but not toasty. I think I could live with this if I were away from the house. However if on a camping trip, I would opt for a good old fashioned s’mores over this cake.
They were good, I would definitely make them again, but not perfect. So the quest continues.
Recipe: Grilled S’mores Cakes
Summary: adapted from Sandra Lee
- 4 pre-made dessert shortcake shells
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted (1/4 cup)
- 4 TBSP Nutella
- 2 crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- drizzle of chocolate sauce (optional)
- Brush the cakes with melted butter (concentrate on the bottoms).
- Fill with crushed crackers.
- Drop a tablespoon amount of Nutella onto the cracker topped cakes.
- Top with marshmallows.
- Place onto foil (double it up) over low heat on a grill. Cover. Check after 5 minutes. Alternately, cook in an oven.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4